Friday, October 31, 2008

Five Things I Learned About Dogs Last Saturday Night

Maggie with butterfly on her head
Maggie with a butterfly on her head

Five things I learned about dogs last Saturday night:

1. It’s surprisingly easy to forget that grapes are toxic to dogs until 2 seconds after yours has eaten the last bite of the leftover chicken salad Veronique you shouldn’t have given her.

2. According to various sites on the internet and the doctor answering the phone at the emergency veterinary clinic, hydrogen peroxide is the accepted method of inducing vomiting in dogs.

3. It’s easy to get the first teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide down a dog’s throat. The next few teaspoons, not so much.

4. About 20 minutes after swallowing a ¼ cup of hydrogen peroxide, a dog will expel all its previously eaten dinner along with an amazingly sticky mass of foaming goo.

5. Dogs are very quick to forgive.

1 comment:

janeycat said...

When I was growing up, our dog Peppy loved grapes.

I remember my mother sitting to peel them for her.
Just wait until I tell her they're poisonous to dogs!

Luckily, Peppy had a long and happy life, and we never noticed any effect to her health from them.